The Cost-Effective Way to Replace Missing Teeth
Why We Would Recommend a Dental Implant
Dove Family Dentistry offers the placement of dental implants in our office for the restoration of missing teeth for our patients. Dental implants are designed to provide a strong foundation for replacement teeth. These new teeth look, feel and perform just like a regular tooth.
Dental implants are changing the way that our patients live. A person who has lost a tooth is able to regain the ability to eat with that tooth again. A dental implant appears completely natural and when placed keeps your facial contours intact. Implants also prevent bone deterioration that occurs when teeth are missing. Replacing missing teeth with an implant is one of the healthiest ways to replace a missing tooth.
What Are Dental Implants Made Of?
A dental implant is made from titanium. A small post made from titanium is surgically placed into the patient’s jawbone where the original tooth is missing. This post acts as an anchor. Once the post is placed, the abutment is screwed into the implant, and then lastly the crown is attached to the implant.
Three Simple Steps to Place a Dental Implant
There are three parts that make up a dental implant.
- The implant: A titanium screw.
- The abutment: A small piece that ensures a snug fit.
- Crown – The top part of the tooth that is attached to the implant.
Types Of Implants
The health of the underlying jaw bone will determine a patient’s eligibility for implants and which type they will receive. In a patient with healthy bone, an endosteal implant will be used. This is simply a titanium post surgically placed into the jawbone. After a healing period, the patient will have a second surgery in which a crown is placed on top of the post.
For patients with bone that can’t support an endosteal implant (or patients who don’t want the surgery involved with them), there are subperiosteal implants. Instead of a titanium post, a metal frame is placed under the gums but on top of the jawbone. Posts are then added to this framework, and they protrude from the gum line like endosteal implants so that crowns can be attached.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the gold standard for replacing missing teeth. Anyone missing teeth understands that they sacrifice confidence and the ability to smile and laugh without covering their mouths in shame. The most obvious of benefits is the ability for greater enjoyment of life. But the benefits go far beyond this:
- Improved appearance and overall self-esteem: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth because they permanently fuse with the bone. They give you back your smile and help you feel confident in yourself.
- Improved speech: With dentures, the teeth can slip and slide in the mouth, causing slurring or mumbling. With dental implants, you speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort and convenience: Because they become part of you, there is no more embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures or the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
- Easier eating: Sliding dentures can make chewing especially difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods without pain. Teeth are supported by stable and robust implant posts that have fused with your jawbone.
- Improved oral health: Dental implants don’t require attachment to other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth don’t support the implant, your original teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health.
- Durability: Implants are long-lasting and durable. With proper care, they will last many years. Some implants can last a lifetime.
- Stopping bone loss: A natural tooth root provides continual stimulation to the bone surrounding it through force whenever you bite down or chew with that tooth. If the tooth is absent, this stimulation is lost, and the bone recedes. By replacing your tooth root with a dental implant post, stimulation is restored to your jawbone, halting further bone loss.
- Healthy remaining natural teeth: Restoring missing teeth with dental implants protects your remaining teeth by preventing them from moving out of position and maintaining your natural bite.
Dove Family Dentistry’s Implant Options
At Dove Family Dentistry, we find the implant solution that works best for each patient on an individual basis. Patients with damaged implants can come to us for implant restoration. Patients missing all of their teeth may be interested in implant-retained dentures as a more affordable option than replacing each missing tooth with an implant. Patients with several missing teeth adjacent to each other could benefit from implant-retained partials.
Dental implants are very cost-effective and if properly cared for will last for many many years. The process of placing a dental implant is simple and straightforward and is a regular treatment here at Dove Family Dentistry.
If you are interested in a consultation about dental implants please call our office at (253) 770-2777 or email us.